Increasing accessibility to electronics projects is a mission that resonates with me. Personally, I find the autonomy and self-sufficiency that comes with “making” to be very rewarding. With hobbyist sites such as Adafruit and Sparkfun, we have plenty of (inexpensive) resources at our disposal. As the technology advances, these resources become cheaper – which is a good thing – and smaller – which is a mixed bag.
Here’s the first published remix of my Open Millifluidic Inquiry System (OMIS) made by Thingiverse member Steve Gordon. There are a couple of nice tweaks, including the use of epoxy to keep the support rods in place (a semi-permanent solution, since many epoxies can dissolve in acetone, and since PLA was used in this build, OMIS won’t be permanently damaged by an acetone treatment). Another nice tweak is the use of automatic pipette tips instead of syringe needles to connect the syringes to the millifluidic device. I’ve got some projects that will involve acid in one of the channels, so I need to explore this hack further.
More information about OMIS, such as the bill of materials, build guide, and some ideas on how to use it can be found on my OMIS page.
I just saw Rogue One and so I’m in a Star Wars mood. A long time ago (March) in a galaxy far, far away (downtown), I went to C2E2. (Here are the photos to prove it.) I had purchased some nice Star Wars art and have been looking for a frame to display it. I gave up (read: had to put the project on the back burner because of the piles of grading). Recently, I revisited the problem (read: finished grading) and decided that the only way I was going to get the frame style I wanted at a price I could afford was to, well, you know:
Wolfram’s Mathematica can run on a $5 Raspberry Pi zero. While it may be painfully slow, it does open up opportunities to use Mathematica in low-power, remote-sensing applications. This blog post is a first in a series highlighting the design challenges I’ve encountered (and in some cases overcome) building Mathematica on Pi (MoP) devices. (Hey, I think I just created a new acronym.)
This is a short post to show off my first attempt at PCB milling. I’m a member of the Chicago Innovation Exchange. Well, I was, but now it’s no longer CIE but the Polsky Center, or maybe the Polsky Echange North, I’m not sure, but that’s what happens when someone invests $35 million in your incubator; you change your name. The center provides me access to a pretty swanky fab lab equipped with (among other things) an X-carve CNC mill. I recently completed my training on the machine and I wanted to put my skills to the test.