2019 is the International Year of the Periodic Table. Throughout the year, I’ll be adding resources (both my own and those I’ve found on the web) that I find interesting. Drop me a line if there’s something you think should be added.
External links and resources
- My go-to website for an internet-based periodic table is webelements.
- The Royal Society of Chemistry as a rather comprehensive periodic table website.
- Theo Gray‘s periodic table website. I bought the book. I won’t recommend it because Theo does a great job reminding you to spend money every few sentences on the website.
- Article from Life Magazine (1949) describing what we knew (then) about the atom. Here’s the neat periodic table that was spread on pages 82/83:
- Chemical & Engineering News article on arranging the periodic table.
- If you need the Periodic table in different formats (Word, Excel, PPT) the the VIPEr website is your friend. (Thanks Kyle, for the shoutout.)
- I’ve been toying with a program to help me spell with the elements. While that’s in production, see this pretty exhaustive list.
- Podcasts about the elements.
- Short histories on many of the elements from Chemical Engineering and News. This website is from a 2009 National Chemistry Week event.
- A really beautiful graphical periodic table.
- Science Friday published a podcast on the elements.
- Chemistry world has a nice article on historical arrangements of the periodic table.
- Need more haiku in your life? Here’s one for every element.
- This Bloomberg article explains the importance of the elements in our lives – 75 elements in a smartphone!?!?!?!?
- What if you were to collect all of the elements? A thought experiment by Randall Munroe.
- The sort of repeating table of things that make up everything.
I’ve got a few periodic-table projects going on, which can be found on these pages.
Listed below are various posts that I’ve tagged with the Periodic Table. Some are informative, some are just for fun.
- One year older
- There’s a Chicken in the Lab
- A mole day experiment
- Finishing touches
- The costumes fit
- All abuzz about the Periodic Table
- Props for Conversations…
- Gearing up for Conversations…
- Happy Birthday Ramsay
- t-shirt chemistry