I’ve been baking bread for a while now, and this past summer I tried my hand at catching a wild starter. Well, it’s almost 10 months after my first wild starter caught on, and here’s what it’s producing.
A few years back, I bought a whole bunch of Fisher brand pipette tips and now my lab is cluttered with a bunch of empty plastic boxes now that the tips have been used and disposed of. I needed a quick project enclosure to build an instrument for a student and thought this might be an interesting exercise in repurposing.
In the previous iteration of my website, I had some details about installing the Vernier Go software development kit on the Raspberry Pi and then using Mathematica to visualize the results. Here is an updated set of instructions which is a little more straightforward.
Andy Brunning over at Compound Interest has created a great infographic to help explain some of the chemistry behind the Flint water crisis. The graphic is below, but I strongly encourage you to take a look at his full article
Andy’s post introduces a lot of concepts that could be incorporated into a Chemistry lecture, making it a potentially valuable resource for connecting what students may find as esoteric concepts to real-life situations. Check out the full article while I jot down some ideas for exam questions….
I made this thing a while back, and I keep telling myself that I’m going to write a longer article. Well, it probably won’t happen, so at least here’s a summary of my impressions on the build.
Continue reading The RPi Palmtop
I’ve been having some problems configuring the optimal fan speeds on my computer. Part of the issue is that I have no way of seeing temperature changes while I’m using full-screen applications. A little help from Wolfram, a Raspberry Pi and Adafruit’s LCDPiPlate got me the information I needed.
I wanted to see if it would be possible to create a makeshift remote sensing device using Wolfram on the Raspberry Pi. Toss in VNC and some earlier code that I’ve written and here’s what I came up with.
I finished off the year right, with a limited edition Goose Island Stout.
I received an Arduino Uno for Christmas this year, so my Dad and I spent some of the holiday time doing some projects. His job was to get a circuit built implementing a 74HC595 Shift Register and my task was to set up some RF communication. Dad completed his project before I did, but as I’m on vacation all this week, I was able to finally get something up and running.
Just a short message to announce that I am working on a voice recognition system for the Raspberry Pi that has less overhead than some of the currently available options. More can be found in the Readme file of the github repository and I’ll be updating this system over the next few days.